Kabaka Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II has postponed the Buganda Tourism Expo to August, Ritah Namyalo Kisitu, the Buganda Kingdom minister for tourism has said.
Namyalo said that the Kabaka decided to re-schedule the June Tourism Expo to August in order to give the Kingdom’s radio, CBS, enough room to organize Powesa activities.
Namyalo said that previously the Kingdom would organize the tourism expo and Powesa concurrently, but the Kabaka has since advised that the two activities be organized differently.
“The Kabaka has advised us that we postpone the Buganda Tourism Expo 2015 to August—from 23-30. The expo was supposed to be conducted in June just like every year but we are organizing Powesa together with CBS this month,” she said.
Namyalo said that among the key highlights of the August tourism expo will be the showcasing of 700 drums that Buganda Kingdom has been using to perform cultural and tradition activities.
Participates will also be able to view the first hoe, which was used in Buganda before Europeans came.
Under the theme, “Million Tourists, Million Opportunities,” Namyalo said that several cultural and traditional officials from other countries have been invited to participate in this year’s tourism expo, which will be launched by the Kabaka. These include; India, Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania and all European embassies in Uganda.
Registration of participants is at Bulange, Mengo at the Buganda Museum offices.
The Kingdom also announced that over 34 contestants have so far applied for the Buganda Miss Tourism competition. Miss Buganda would be crowned on June 24 at Hotel Africana.