Mengo Hill is located in the Lubaga Division of Kampala & is bordered by the Nsambya Hill in the east, the Lubaga Hill in west, the Kampala Hill in north & the Ndeeba in south. The peak of the Mengo hill is about 3,970 ft above sea level.
Mengo Hill finds significant reference in the religious & political history of Kampala.
The hill gets its name from the Luganda word “Mengo” meaning “grinding stones”. Legends suggest that these are the stones that were used for grinding food by the ancient migrant communities who had settled on the Mengo Hill.
The hill is also the place where the main palace of Kabaka known as Lubiri is located. Dating back to as old as 800 years, this is an ancient traditional African monarchy that also houses the magnificent Twekobe, the official residence of Kabaka. Covering an area of four square miles, the palace has a small airstrip within its six-foot tall brick fence. The Mengo Hill is exactly the place where the Buganda Agreement of 1900 was signed between the British & the Kabaka of Buganda.
The history of Mengo Hill would seem incomplete without the mention of the adjacent Namirembe Hill known as the seat of the Anglican Church of Uganda. This is because of the fact that the monarchy has a close association with the Church of England. Alsolying at the base of the Namirembe Hill is the Bulange that houses official buildings of the Kabaka & the Lukiiko(Buganda Parliament).
The Mengo Hill besides being known for the Kabaka’s palace is also renowned for the Kabaka Lake. This beautiful lake dug way back in the 1880’s is known to be the biggest & one-of-its-kind man made lakes in the country.